Conservatorships or "Probate Conservatorships"

Probate Court may appoint Conservators for people who are unable to take care of themselves and/or their finances.

The Court appoints a Conservator to protect the proposed Conservatee from serious health problems and/or from undue influence in financial matters.

The procedure for establishing a Conservatorship is to file a Petition with the Court to obtain Letters of Conservatorship. Along with the Petition, there are a number of other forms that are filed with the Court. These additional forms outline the reasons for the Conservatorship, information on the proposed Conservator, and a list of close relatives and friends.

After the Petition is filed, the Court appoints a Court investigator, usually a social worker. The Court Investigator meets with the proposed Conservatee and contacts relatives and friends. The Court investigator writes a report with a recommendation as to whether the Court should appoint a Conservator. Usually an attorney is appointed by the Court to represent the Conservatee.

The advantage of a Conservatorship is that there is court supervision which protects the Conservatee from abuse. Sometimes there is no alternative to a Conservatorship if the proposed Conservatee will not accept assistance voluntarily.

Conservatorship for Dad

The Conservatorship is reviewed by the Court after six months and then annually thereafter.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Julia P. Wald have experience establishing conservatorships and representing families who are taking care of incapacitated relations.

We know the right legal steps to take, and we understand the emotional situation.

We are ready to help with sound and sensitive advice.